You have no items to compare.
An Important Amino Acid
Taurine is an important amino acid that has an essential role in many biological events. It helps to regulate ion flow across the membranes of cells, biosynthesize water soluble bile salts, and helps the enzymes that are involved in the detoxification of potentially harmful compounds. It has antioxidant activities, and helps to enhance the function of the immune system.
Heart Disease and Neurological Function
Taurine is the most abundant amino acid in the heart, and is important for cardiovascular function. It helps to regulate blood pressure, and has been used to help with various types of heart disease including congestive heart failure, arrhythmias, and hypertension. It has also been found to minimize the effects of congestive heart failure. Taurine is able to cross the blood brain barrier, and may have potential in helping to deal with neurological disorders.
Taurine’s role in cardiovascular and neurological systems gives it a range of potential benefits for various health effects. AOR’s Taurine provides this amino acid in a safe and effective dose that reflects current research.
Taurine is a versatile amino acid first discovered in 1827, but only recently have its numerous clinical applications been reported.
Chemistry Taurine, or 2-aminoethanesulfonic acid, is not a true amino acid since it has an amino group and sulfonic acid group (SO3H) instead of carboxyl (COOH) group.
Pharmacological properties / Clinical Applications
Taurine is abundantly present in mother's milk, is necessary for normal growth, and present in high concentration in the platelets, lymphocytes, and retina.
(1) Antioxidant. Taurine reacts with hypochlorous acid (HOCI) produced in the retina and certain white cells during the "respiratory burst" to combat infection, thereby protecting the host from oxidative damage. Taurine is also a cell-membrane stabilizer and has been shown to protect against retinol toxicity and lipid peroxidation.
(2) Immunostimulant. Taurine significantly increases lymphocyte viability in a dose- dependent manner. Taurine was also found to be an activator of natural-killer cells and stimulated the release of interleukin I (IL-I) from macrophages.
(3) Detoxifying agent. Detoxifying agents render toxic substances more water soluble since, for the most part, such substances are poorly soluble. The increased solubility allows excretion through the kidneys, making it easier for the body to get rid of them. The amino group of taurine can react with carboxylic acid group of toxins to form amide linkages, making it easier to excrete potentially harmful substances.
(4) Neurologic disorders. Analysis of human brain tissue showed that over two-thirds of the samples of migraine/epileptic patients had reduced taurine content. Administration of taurine reduced the seizures in an animal model of human epilepsy, primarily due to stabilizing nerve cell membranes.
(5) Retinosis Pigmentosa. RP is a genetic disorder in which the retina slowly degenerates, resulting in early loss of night vision followed by the progressive development of tunnel vision, ending in blindness and often complicated with macular degeneration. RP victims appear to have abnormally low uptake of taurine, suggesting the use of the amino acid as a corrective.
(6) Cardiovascular. Taurine is the most important and abundant amino acid in the heart. It stimulates the activity of cAMP, allowing the entry of calcium. Taurine has been widely used in Japan to treat various types of heart disease, including congestive heart failure (2-4g daily), arrhythmias (2g), diuresis, and hypertension.
• Supports the function of the heart
• Stimulates the immune system
• Helps with detoxification
|Serving Size:||1 Vegi-Cap|
|Per Container:||270 Vegi-Caps|
|Ingredients (Amount Per Serving)||675 mg Taurine|
|Other Ingredients||Capsule: Hypromellose, Sorbitol, Silicon Dioxide, Water
AOR guarantees that no ingredients not listed on the label have been added to the product. Contains no wheat, gluten, corn, nuts, dairy, soy, eggs, fish or shellfish.
|Directions||Take five to nine capsules daily, or as directed by a qualified health care practitioner.|
You may also be interested in the following product(s)
Regular Price: $20.98
Special Price: $17.27As low as: $14.80
Regular Price: $86.37
Special Price: $54.27As low as: $49.33